If you’re looking for a quick and simple meal, this is one of them. It takes only minutes to prepare and you can leave it for 30 minutes while the chicken cooks. By using Free Foods, this recipe is totally Syn Free on Extra Easy, so you can enjoy as much as you like – or better still, save some for tomorrow’s lunch to give yourself something to look forward to. We used microwave rice in our version (below) to save on time – however you can use normal dried rice as well, just boil until cooked for the stir-fry part. The tasty chicken goes really well with the paprika spiced rice, and we added a side of salad leaves to boost our speed foods.
Variations – you could try using pork inside of chicken, for a spicy pork mix, or even change the chicken breasts to drumsticks or thighs. If you do, ensure that all visible skin and fat has been removed before eating, or you will need to count the syns.
Slimming World Piri-Piri Chicken with Spicy Rice and Salad
Serves 2 people
- 2 chicken breasts, all visible skin and fat removed
- 6 tbsp Schwartz Piri Piri seasoning
- Fry Light
- 2 peppers, green and red. Chopped finely
- 4 spring onions, chopped and seperated (white and green bits)
- 5 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 bag of frozen plain cooked rice
- Side salad of greens to serve
- Heat the oven to 180*c fan. Cut a small opening in each chicken breast, three times. Try not to cut all the way through, by scoring the meat you allow it to crisp quicker on top, and also get the marinade directly into the chicken meat.
- Mix the piri-piri marinade (we used a Syn Free Schwartz Piri Piri mix) with the lime juice and rub onto / into the chicken breasts. If you have time, it would be good to chill in the fridge for a while, but if you’re in a rush, just ensure it reaches right into the chicken cuts you made in step 1.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes, and then increase the heat to around 200*c for an additional 15 minutes at the end to try and crisp the chicken. A spray of Fry Light at this time can help.
- While the chicken is cooking in the last 15 minutes, cook the peppers and the white bits of the spring onions for 5 minutes in Fry Light. Add the tomato purée and smoked paprika to the vegetables and mix well. Add the rice, mixing with a wooden spoon to ensure the rains split and are all coated in the pan. Heat until piping hot.
- Serve the dish by placing the rice on top of the spicy rice and top with the green bits of the spring onions. We added a side salad of green leaves to boost our speed food intake. Serve!
We’d love to hear from you if you had a try at this recipe – just add your comments / pictures below.