To start, this recipe is more of a Lasagne, only because we’ve changed the Cannelloni tubes to Lasagne sheets to save time, but you can use the tubes if you’d like to stuff each one individually with the mixture.
Canelloni is a favourite Italian dish combining sauces and pasta together – however it can be a danger zone for slimmers as it usually has fried mince meat, bechamel sauce and cheese on top. This recipe instead is vegetarian friendly, and uses fat free cottage cheese and reduced fat Cheddar cheese to bring the Italian taste home – but without the high Syn value!
- You may also like: Slimming World Open Beef Lasagne
This recipe is ideal for batch cooking, and can be frozen. Using the recipe below, we batch cooked (as shown in the image) into foil trays to keep each meal individual and allow us to defrost just as much as we need.
- Serves: 4
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- Syns: 6 syns per portion, if not using the reduced fat Cheddar cheese as a healthy extra
- 250g chopped spinach
- 250g fat free natural cottage cheese
- 2 medium eggs (only use the yolks from these)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed to taste
- 100g button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- Lasagne sheets
- 550g passata with onions and garlic
- pinch of dried nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp dried basil
- 180g reduced-fat grated Cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 200’c
- In a bowl, put the chopped spinach, cottage cheese, egg yolks, garlic, mushrooms, onion, pepper, half the cheese, nutmeg and half of the dried basil in a bowl. Mix well together and season
- Place the mixture in layers into the oven dish and in between add some lasgane sheets to layer the mixture to the top.
- Pour over the passata, ensuring that everything is covered.
- Sprinkle over the remaining dried basil and grated cheese
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Then, remove the foil and allow to cook for a further 20 minutes, until the dish is tender and the cheese is golden.